Staff Pick

“Lovers of a good claret will find this wine immensely appealing.”


  • Closure: Cork
  • Unit: Each
  • Volume: 750ml
  • Alcohol: 13.5%
  • Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, Merlot

$38.99 $34.99 elsewhere $38.99

Regions : Trentino Alto Adige

“Lovers of a good claret will find this wine immensely appealing.”


In stock


Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère & Merlot. This is San Leonardo’s junior sibling, from the same terroir.

What we love most about this wine is its effortless sense of style and Northern Italian charm, reflected in its refined elegance and poise. With seven years of bottle age this wine is showing some of our favourite cigar box and tobacco leaf characters, backed up by a smooth satisfying mid palate filled with plummy richness and a subtle earthy complexity. Lovers of a good claret will find this wine immensely appealing. Great with your Sunday roast, veal would be ideal.

Winery notes (2011 Vintage)
"Brilliant ruby red, with attractive depth and decent length. The aromas are alcohol and fruit-rich when the wine is young, later mellowing with bottle
age into ripe plum fruit layered over a faintly grassy background note. Dry, soft and well-balanced on the palate, it reveals a pleasing bitterish twist in the finish. Good aromatic length.

80% aged for 18 months in big Slovenian oak barrels and the remaining 20% in French barriques for at least 6 months."

89/100 Wine Spectator (2011 Vintage)
"Lovely hints of cigar box and woodsy spice accent this fresh and harmonious red, with currant and plum fruit layered with supple tannins and bright acidity. Offers a lasting finish of ground green pepper and graphite. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carmenère. Drink now through 2021."

Jancis Robinson's Purple Pages, February 2018
"One important wine-producing country that I have not mentioned yet is Italy, because my prime example of a wine that has hardly changed at all since it was launched with the 1982 vintage is the Cabernet blend of the San Leonardo estate in the subalpine region of Trentino.

San Leonardo is exceptional in so many ways. For a start it produces wine almost in a vacuum, north west of Verona towards Lake Garda, well outside the Valpolicella zone, and much further down the Adige valley from the vineyards that supply the sparkling wine of Trento.

Although it's an ancient estate, based on a tenth-century church, it did not produce wine until the late twentieth century. Marchese Carlo Guerreri Gonzago studied oenology in Lausanne in the late 1950s and then worked at the Tuscan estate that produces Sassicaia, Italy's prototype Supertuscan Cabernet. Under the influence of Sassicaia's creator, Marchese Mario Incisa della Rocchetta, Carlo was keen to see whether similar bordelais subtlety could also be coaxed out of the infertile clay-limestone benchlands of his wife's estate in Trentino."

We provide a door to door delivery service nationwide. Delivery charges are calculated on a 12 bottle case or part there of.

Delivery charges are calculated during the checkout process. Please ensure you choose the correct delivery region. We will advise you if you have chosen the incorrect delivery region.

You may also choose to 'pick up' your order from our wine shop at 188 Durham Street South, Christchurch.

For further details on prices and delivery options please go to the Delivery & Returns section of our site.

If for any reason you are not entirely happy with your order or you suspect that it may be affected by a quality issue, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will remedy the problem straight away. Contact us on (03) 3655134.

Note, for orders of 1 - 2 bottles we charge an additional $3 for packaging. To ensure the safety of the bottles we use specially designed posting boxes.

Can't find what you're looking for or we don't have enough product in stock?Get in touch with us and we'll see what we can do.