Gamay Noir is the grape variety of Beaujolais – an incredibly under-rated variety which has a growing number of ardent fans around the world. Here in New Zealand Te Mata have been producing their Gamay Noir for nearly 20 years building a loyal fan base for its juicy, red berried, softly textured style.
The new 2019 is a beauty – Te Mata say it is the best they have made.. we agree. Everything you want and expect. Flavour, deliciousness and fun. Perfect with spicy foods or on its own. When the weather is warmer you can even chill it down.
Winery notes (2019 Vintage)
"Candy-apple red with lifted notes of ripe strawberry and bright maraschino cherry, Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’19 sparkles with Hawke’s Bay summer fruit. Saturated raspberry on the palate is juicy and sustained with silky, round tannins, accompanied by a fine dusting of liquorice and white pepper. Red-ripe fruit, crunchy acidity, and a fresh and intense style means Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’19 overflows with instant appeal.
The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and floral aromas of the wine, was used for 44% of the grapes. The other 56% received a traditional, warm, red wine fermentation. The resulting wines completed their malolactic fermentation and were matured for seven weeks in seasoned French oak barrels, before blending and bottling.
Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’19 can be enjoyed immediately upon release and can be served at room temperature or, during summer, lightly chilled. It will continue to develop in bottle for two years from harvest."
Reviews for the 2018 vintage below…
4 Stars Michael Cooper (2018 Vintage)
"A sort of red wine for white-wine lovers, the 2018 vintage is delicious young. Bright, light ruby, with fresh, berryish aromas, it is medium-bodied, vibrantly fruity and smooth, with strong, plummy, slightly spicy flavours, gentle tannins, and lots of youthful impact. Good drinking for the summer of 2018-19."
91/100 Sam Kim, Wine Orbit, February 2019 (2018 Vintage)
"It is delightfully perfumed and inviting on the nose showing raspberry, cranberry and floral characters with a touch of spicy complexity. The palate delivers juicy fruit intensity and rounded mouthfeel, wonderfully supported by silky texture and fine, polished tannins. It is light, bright and very tasty to a lengthy refreshing finish. At its best: now to 2020."