Gold Medal – New Zealand International Wine Show 2019
Double Gold Medal – China Wine & Spirits Awards 2019
91/100 James Halliday's Wine Companion (2018 Vintage)
"Among the best Quarisa wine of this year's batch: polished and seamless, without the storm-trooping tannins and wrenching acidity of other cuvees. The fruit, too, is richly appointed without being OTT."
Reviews for the 2017 vintage below…
5 Stars & 93/100 Sam Kim, Wine Orbit, December 2018 (2017 Vintage)
"The wine offers terrific dark fruit richness together with vanilla, roasted hazelnut, chocolate and mixed spice notes. It is succulent and powerfully expressed on the palate, delivering plump mouthfeel and silky texture, brilliantly supported by supple tannins. At its best: now to 2024".
5 Stars & 18.5-/20 (93) Raymond Chan, November 2018 (2017 Vintage)
"Very dark, deep, near impenetrable black-hued purple-ruby colour, a little lighter on the rim, very youthful in appearance. The nose is full and voluminous with accessible and up-front, bold aromas of ripe black berried fruits with black plums, along with an amalgam of herb detail and a subtle array of spices, unfolding a little eucalyptus. The aromatics grow in depth and intensity with aeration. Fullish bodied, the palate has sweetly rich and plush, juicy flavours of ripe blackberry and black plum fruit with boysenberries, spices and suggestions of herbs. The fruit is mouthfilling with a deep and rounded heart, which is supported by fine, grainy tannin structure and extraction, and integrated acidity. Some alcoholic power underlines the fruit, and the wine carries to a fulsome, long finish. This is a plush and juicy, powerful Malbec with ripe flavours of blackberries, plums and boysenberries with spice notes and fine-grained tannin structure. Match with barbecued, grilled and roasted red meats over the next 4-5 years. A blend of 86% Malbec and 14% Durif, fruit 50% from Heathcote, 36% Clare Valley and the 14% Durif from N.S.W., fermented to 14.7% alc., with 20% of the wine aged 8 months in 2 y.o. American oak hogsheads, the remaining 80% aged in tank with French oak staves".
Gold Medal NZIWS 2018 (2017 Vintage)
"Dark and rich with blueberry jam, creamy oak, fragrant spice and subtle smoky notes, wonderfully framed by silky texture. Plump and richly textured with a powerful velvety finish."
4 Stars Michael Cooper (2017 Vintage)
"Offering generous, easy, no-fuss drinking, this Aussie red has bold, purple-flushed colour. Rich and smooth-flowing, it is sturdy (14% alc/vol) and packed with fresh, ripe blackcurrant, plum and spice flavours."