A super fine and minerally white from the Greek Island of Santorini. Argyros date back to 1903, but are now outstanding leaders in the Greek wine revival. This mid-level wine is not from their oldest vines, merely from a vineyard up 100 years old! The island's traditional basket-training (to protect against harsh sun and wind) along with dry conditions and inorganic soils allow these heroic vines to remain pest free and on their original rootstocks. With deep lemony freshness and bright, piercing minerality, this is a unique and stylish white for aperitif or fish dinners.
Winery notes (2019 Vintage)
"Estate Argyros is a single varietal wine from our heritage grape. 80% ferments separately in stainless steel vats, while the other 20% ferments and ages for 6 months in French oak barrels. The discrete touch of the wood, highlights the earthy characteristics of the Assyrtiko grape. Yellow in colour, with delicate aromas of citrus fruits and minerals. Full body, balanced acidity and long aftertaste."
92/100 Mark Squires, Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate (2019 Vintage)
"The 2019 Assyrtiko, the regular Santorini is unoaked, dry (four grams of residual sugar, 7.01 of total acidity) and comes in at 14% alcohol. Quite a difference from the 2018 (which was drier, more tense on the finish and not as rich). This is a blend from mainly Messaria, Karterados, Pyrgos, Megalochori and Akrotiri. The 2018 is more along the lines of the Atlantis but bigger—meaning, fresh, crisp and nervier. This is more along the lines of an upscale Santorini in style these days (although at a more reasonable price)—richer, full of flavour and nicely ripe. I liked both iterations, perhaps for different uses and different moments, but I suspect this will be the more popular wine. It certainly shows better today, as its bigger fruit is up front and delectable. I'm not sure that will be the final answer, though. Meanwhile, the structure may preserve the 2018 better. For the moment, this 2019 finishes with authority—and that extra flavour. The winery suggests it can last for a decade. It might do better, if well stored. Drink 2020 – 2029."